When I returned to work after my maternity leave, I joined a locally based team that I often refer as my boss babes. Our entire leadership team was female and I loved every second of it. We used to eat lunch together most days, and one of the fan favorites was P.F. Changs. My cubemate, Megan, always ordered Vegetable Fried Rice and Spicy Green Beans, one day I tried some of it and from that moment forward I was also addicted. So I set out to make the green beans on my own.
Time: 30 minutes
1 block of extra firm tofu, pressed and drained (this takes 30 min so be sure to prep this before starting to cook)
1 tsp of toasted sesame oil
2 Tbs canola oil
1/2 cup corn starch
2-3 Tbs of canola oil
1 lb of trimmed fresh green beans
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 Tbs finely chopped fresh ginger
1 Tbs of chili garlic paste
3 green onions, finely chopped
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1 Tbs seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbs crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup water
1. Cube tofu and add to a mixing bowl, add in 2 Tbs of canola oil and sesame oil. Use a rubber spatula to gently stir the tofu so it’s coated in the oil. Next add the corn starch and toss the tofu to coat. You want the corn starch/oil to look gooey
2. Next heat the remaining canola oil in a large fry pan over medium high heat heat, add the tofu and arrange so it’s in one layer. Let it fry in the oil for about 5 minutes, then flip it every few minutes so all sides develop a golden brown crust (be sure to continue to check on these, and if they turn golden before everything else is down, just remove from the oil)
3. Meanwhile, add another 2 Tbs of canola oil to a heavy bottom fry pan or wok on medium high heat, add the green beans (this will splatter and likely set off your fire alarm, so have your fan going, windows open, and take caution lol)
4. While the green beans sear, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes and water.
5. Continue sautéing the green beans for about 4 minutes, next add the chili garlic paste, garlic, ginger, and green onions cook about another minute or two, until fragrant.
6. Next add the sauce, stir to coat the green beans and let the sauce cook down by about half then add the tofu. Stir to coat and serve by itself or with your favorite rice